The Epidalea calamita (Natterjack toad) eDNA detection kit is able to detect the amphibian species Epidalea calamita in all waters worldwide and contains enough materials for 20 samples to be analysed in 8 fold (200 qPCR tests). The kit is based on the fast, sensitive, and proven primers/probe qPCR technique. The kit contains primers and a probe for detecting a highly specific sequence present on the mitochondrial DNA of the species Rana arvalis.
The natterjack toad (Epidalea calamita) is a toad native to sandy and heathland areas of Europe. Adults are 60–70 mm in length and are distinguished from common toads by a yellow line down the middle of the back, and parallel paratoid glands. They have relatively short legs, and this gives them a distinctive gait, contrasting with the hopping movement of many other toad species.
Natterjacks have a very loud and distinctive mating call amplified by the single vocal sac found under the chin of the male, so their name literally means the chattering toad – the jack (or toad) that natters. Natterjacks live for up to 15 years and feed mainly on insects, especially beetles. At night they move around open terrain with sparse vegetation, and in loose sand their tracks can often be seen. They move considerable distances each night, enabling the species to colonize new habitats very quickly. (source: wikipedia)
In English: Natterjack toad.
In German: Kreuzkröte.
In French: Crapaud calamite or Crapaud des joncs.
In Dutch: Rugstreeppad.
The primers and probe are specially designed to be used with eDNA samples and have the following properties:
- Highest possible sensitivity (<1 DNA copies per reaction). Environmental water samples contain normally very low amounts of target DNA.
- Strong fluorescence signal with low background noise. Isolated environmental samples contain residues of naturally occurring auto fluoresce substances that will interfere with the measurements. A strong fluorescence signal from the analyses is required for these kind of samples.
- 100% specificity. Isolated DNA from environmental samples contains billions of DNA fragments from bacteria, protozoa, plants, animals, etc.
The kit is developed and optimized to be used on eDNA isolates purified using the eDNA isolation kit (#SYL002) from Sylphium molecular ecology.
Other eDNA isolation methods/kits can be used as well. Please contact us to get more information how to use the obtained isolates from other methods/kits to get reliable results with the Epidalea calamita eDNA detection kit.
The kit contains materials for an 8 fold analyses on 20 samples including all necessary controls.
- Positive control (Epidalea calamita DNA)
- 2x Sylphium qPCR mix (100 reactions) without primers and probes
- 2x Primer/probe mix (100 reactions) for detection of Epidalea calamita (FAM dye)
- 1x Taq DNA polymerase (200 reactions)
- Protocol and primer/probe validation report