The Escherichia coli detection kit is based on the fast, sensitive, and proven primers/probe qPCR technique. The kit contains primers and a probe for detecting a highly specific sequence (uidA gene) present on the DNA of the species Escherichia coli. This kit of Sylphium molecular ecology is designed to have a sensitivity of only one molecule per reaction in environmental samples.
Escherichia coli, also known as E. coli , is a Gram-negative, facultative anaerobic, rod-shaped, coliform bacterium of the genus Escherichia that is commonly found in the lower intestine of warm-blooded organisms (endotherms).Most E. coli strains are harmless, but some serotypes can cause serious food poisoning in their hosts, and are occasionally responsible for product recalls due to food contamination (source: wikipedia)
Primers and probe and the qPCR buffer were designed to have:
- •Highest possible sensitivity (1 DNA copy per reaction). Environmental water samples contain normally very low amounts of target DNA.
- Strong fluorescence signal with low background noise. Isolated environmental samples contain residues of naturally occurring auto fluoresce substances that will interfere with the measurements. A strong fluorescence signal from the analyses is required for these kind of samples.
- 100% specificity. Isolated DNA from environmental samples contains billions of DNA fragments from bacteria, protozoa, plants, animals, etc.
The kit is developed and optimized to be used on eDNA isolates purified using the eDNA isolation kit (#SYL002) from Sylphium molecular ecology.
Other eDNA isolation methods/kits can be used as well. Please contact us to get more information how to use the obtained isolates from other methods/kits to get reliable results with the kit.
The kit contains materials for an 3-fold analyses on 36 samples including all necessary controls.
- Positive control (uidA gene of Escherichia coli)
- 2x Sylphium qPCR mix (100 reactions) without primers and probes
- 2x Primer/probe mix (100 reactions) for detection of Escherichia coli (FAM dye)
- 1x Taq DNA polymerase (200 reactions)
- 2 ml dilution solution (S6)
- Batch validation document