The Lepomis gibbosus eDNA detection kit is able to detect the fish species Lepomis gibbosus in all waters worldwide and contains enough materials for 20 samples to be analysed in 8 fold (200 qPCR tests). The kit is based on the fast, sensitive, and proven Taqman® probe qPCR technique. The kit contains primers and a probe for detecting a highly specific sequence present on the mitochondrial DNA of the species Lepomis gibbosus.
The pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus) is a North American freshwater fish of the sunfish family (Centrarchidae) of order Perciformes. The pumpkinseed’s natural range in North America is from New Brunswick down the east coast to South Carolina. It then runs inland to the middle of North America, and extends through Iowa and back through Pennsylvania. Pumpkinseed sunfish have however been introduced throughout most of North America. They can now be found from Washington and Oregon on the Pacific Coast to Georgia on the Atlantic Coast. Yet they are primarily found in the northeastern United States and more rarely in the south-central or southwestern region of the continent. In Europe, the pumpkinseed is considered an invasive species. They were introduced to European waters, and could outcompete native fish. (source: wikipedia)
The fish is also known as pond perch, common sunfish, punkys, sunfish, sunny, and kivver.
In German: Gemeine Sonnenbarsch or Kürbiskernbarsch.
In French: Perche soleil, Crapet-soleil or Poisson-solei.
In Dutch: Zonnebaars.
The primers and probe are specially designed to be used with eDNA samples and have the following properties:
- Highest possible sensitivity (1 DNA copies per reaction). Environmental water samples contain normally very low amounts of target DNA.
- Strong fluorescence signal with low background noise. Isolated environmental samples contain residues of naturally occurring auto fluoresce substances that will interfere with the measurements. A strong fluorescence signal from the analyses is required for these kind of samples.
- 100% specificity. Isolated DNA from environmental samples contains billions of DNA fragments from bacteria, protozoa, plants, animals, etc.
The kit is developed and optimized to be used on eDNA isolates purified using the eDNA isolation kit (#SYL002) from Sylphium molecular ecology.
Other eDNA isolation methods/kits can be used as well. Please contact us to get more information how to use the obtained isolates from other methods/kits to get reliable results with the Lepomis gibbosus eDNA detection kit.
The kit contains materials for an 8 fold analyses on 20 samples including all necessary controls.
- Positive control (Lepomis gibbosus DNA)
- 2x Sylphium qPCR mix (100 reactions) without primers and probes
- 2x Primer/probe mix (100 reactions) for detection of Lepomis gibbosus (FAM dye)
- 1x Taq DNA polymerase (200 reactions)
- Protocol and primer/probe validation report